9/11 was the tragedy that shook the world and this week marked the 16th anniversary of this dreadful terror attack. Everyone has seen the images and video footage from that day and it’s nothing short of horrifying. It’s strange to think that even to this day though, there are still some images of 9/11 that haven’t been seen by the public at large. Today, we would like to send our respects to all of those who lost their loved ones on that day and share with you these rare images from September 11th.
1. People standing at Park Row and Beekman Street, watching as the South Tower began to collapse.
The looks on their faces speak volumes as to the utter horror they were seeing unfold before their very eyes.
2. The moment before the second plane hit the tower.
A photographer managed to take this shot mere seconds before the second plane hit.
3. People jumping from the tower.
When I think of the fear and desperation that these people must have felt in this moment, my heart breaks. As flames engulfed the towers some people were left with no way to evacuate.
4. People running down Broadway to escape the smoke from the collapsing towers.
Hundreds of people were caught up in the dust and smoke that flooded the streets following the collapse of the World Trade Centre buildings.
5. A photo taken from an apartment four blocks away.
Can you imagine looking from your window to see this happening? I can’t begin to think about how that must have felt.
6. A man continues his work.
Some of the people of New York City continued their work despite all that happened that day. I think that says a lot about this city and the sheer bravery and determination of its people.
7. A photo taken from a Brooklyn window showing American Airlines Flight 11 approach and hit the North Tower.
These images were shot as an ongoing art project that updated a panoramic photograph of New York City every four seconds. If you look closely, you can see the time stamps in the bottom right hand corner of each image.
8. The debris falling from the South Tower as it collapsed.
What scares me about this photograph is that somebody was close enough to the tower to take it. This must have been truly terrifying.
9. The South Tower Collapsing
This photo was taken from street view below the South Tower. The collapse occurred 56 minutes after impact.
10. A woman who hadn’t realised there was a terror attack.
The woman in this photo is Isabel Daser, who had asked her colleague to take a picture of her in the bustling city streets. She didn’t realise a terror attack had happened until after this picture had been taken.
11. The plane colliding with the South Tower
A guide dog named Roselle managed to lead her blind owner down 78 storeys of the North Tower and to the nearby home of a friend. What a heroic pup.
12. A lone man runs down Broadway to escape the debris and dust cloud.
Some of the people caught up in this dust cloud suffered with lung problems afterwards and some even passed away.
People cling together and watch the horrific events unfold.
14. A woman and her baby on a Brooklyn rooftop shortly after the collapse of the towers.
Despite all that happened on 9/11, life continued to go on.
15. A satellite image of the smoke coming from New York City made early September 12th.
It took firefighters 100 days to extinguish all of the fires caused by the attacks in New York.
16. A view of the towers from the Empire State Building.
Smoke from the site could still be smelled from miles away for months following the attacks.
17. Several buildings collapsed in the Trade Centre complex after the attack.
Workers sifted through more than 100 million tonnes of debris following the attacks, searching for remains and personal effects.
Which of these images of 9/11 really resonated with you? Please leave us a comment to let us know and if you liked this article, please share it with your friends and family. Once again, we would like to give our respects to all who lost friends and family on this dreadful day.