Do you ever sit and wonder what the world will be like in a thousand years? What will the place you’re sitting in right now look like? Will the town you live in still be full of activity? Or will mother nature have come to claim back what once was hers? These 23 beautiful photographs showcase what happens to abandoned buildings over the years and the results are absolutely stunning.
1. Sintra Well, Portugal
These wells led to a network of underground passages and were more like underground towers than wells.
2. Follow the yellow brick road
I think Dorothy would have been a lot more worried if she’d had to wander down this creepy looking abandoned road.
3. A ghost town in Belchite, Spain
Part of me would like to spend a night here and look up at the stars. The other half would be too scared of ghosts.
4. An abandoned church in France.
This place is beautiful now, imagine how gorgeous it must have been when it was still in use!
5. An abandoned palace in Belgium
This looks like the kind of place that would have once held Downton Abbey style drama.
6. An abandoned chapel
I would have loved to have seen this in all of its former glory!
7. A house in the Norwegian countryside
I wonder how those trees began to grow on the roof? I’m sure I could go and live here if I put a bit of work into it, right? Okay, no, probably not.
8. Another relic from Sintra, Portugal
Everything here is so colourful, although I’d be scared to get lost in that forest!
9. An abandoned country house
Why would anyone abandon this place? It’s beautiful!
10. Hotel del Salto, Colombia
This building has now been renovated and reopened in 2013. Imagine going on holiday and waking up in the morning to that stunning view!
11. An abandoned ship, Fuerteventura, Canary Islands
This ship was once called the American Star and has been floating here since 1994.
12. The Orient Express, Belgium
All of a sudden the phrase “murder on the orient express” seems much more likely.
13. Crystal Mill, Colorado
This mill fell into disuse in 1917 and is now on the National Register of Historic Places.
14. Merchant Navy Shipwreck, Red Sea
This ship was once named the SS Thistlegorm and was sunk in 1941. It’s now a popular diving site and we can see why!
15. A burned down nightclub in Austria
I really hope nobody was in this club when the fire happened!
16. The remains of a castle in Kopice, Poland
This must have been huge when it was in its prime!
17. An abandoned railway in Paris, France
Is there a ghost train that goes along with this?
18. ‘Stairway to Heaven’ in Oahu, Hawaii
It doesn’t look all that heavenly anymore.
19. An abandoned church in Detroit
This really does look like something out of a horror movie.
20. An abandoned ship in County Louth, Ireland
This was once an Irish trader and is now almost completely destroyed.
21. A deserted fishing village, Yangtze River, China
Mother nature has truly reclaimed this place.
22. An abandoned conservatory
This stands in what was once a winter garden, the plants have now truly made it their home.
23. An abandoned castle
This looks like something out of a fairytale. A fairytale gone wrong.
Did you love these beautiful pictures as much as we did? Let us know in the comments and don’t forget to share this article with your family and friends!