Elvis Presley was already a rock ‘n’ roll superstar when he met his future wife Priscilla during a party at his home.
The King of Rock ‘n’ Roll had already been performing for several years and had released some of his exciting early albums when he was drafted into the military.
That’s when the couple first met, while Elvis was stationed in Western Germany in 1959.
Priscilla’s maiden name was Beaulieu, and she was part of a military family. In 1956, the Beaulieus were settled in Austin, Texas, but soon her stepfather was transferred to Wiesbaden, in Germany.
Priscilla was incredibly sad at the news, because after finishing junior high she would have to leave behind all the friends she had made in Texas and travel to another country.
At first Priscilla’s family stayed at a hotel when they arrived in Germany, but they left to find a place to rent after three months, because living there became too expensive. The family settled in a large apartment that was also brothel, but with no alternative due to scarce housing, they had to remain there.
She first met Elvis Presley on September 13, 1959, during a party at Elvis’ home in Bad Nauheim, Germany, while he was serving in the military.
Despite Priscilla being 14 years old, which made Elvis 10 years her senior, the two struck up a close friendship that, over time, blossomed into love.
Priscilla’s parents were angry at first, as she returned home late after that first meeting. They insisted she would never meet Elvis again, but they relented after they saw his eagerness, and he promised to never to bring her home late again.
They were frequently together until Elvis left West Germany in March 1960. In May 1967, when Priscilla was 21, they tied the knot in a 10-minute ceremony at the Aladdin Hotel in Las Vegas, with the photos from their laid-back wedding becoming some of the most iconic images ever taken of the couple.
Take a look at those, and some of the other amazing photos of Elvis and Priscilla below!
1. That’s certainly one heck of wedding cake!
2. These are some of the timeless images take on their wedding day that came to define the glamorous era
3. They were obviously very much in love with each other!
4. You gotta love that cake, right?
5. Elvis sure looks the part in that sharp jacket, like he always did back then
6. Priscilla also looks stunning in her wedding dress
7. Not the most flattering photo, but it really captures a spontaneous moment!
8. Aside from their wedding day, there were many more incredible images taken of the pair as husband and wife
9. The style of that era never seems to get old, does it?
10. Elvis was definitely the kind of star who could afford his own private jet to fly his wife around in
11. Maybe this was a sign of the trouble that lay ahead for the couple
12. But in the meantime, the Presley family was expanding!
13. That’s such a great photo, look how happy the crowds look to see the newest Presley
14. Getting older and growing up!
15. You ain’t nothing but a hound dog!
16. The couple spend a precious few moments together
17. You don’t get too many breaks from being a mom!
In February 1968, nine months to the day of their wedding, Elvis and Cilla welcomed their first and only child into the world, Lisa Marie.
Theirs was a love that burned brightly but died quickly, and the couple separated just a few short years later in early 1972. Their divorce was finalized the following year, in October 1973.
It was Elvis’ behavior that led to the couple’s divorce. Priscilla had moved into Elvis famous mansion house Graceland in Memphis, Tennessee.
Meanwhile, Elvis was off shooting movies in Hollywood, and kept his wife’s visits to an absolute minimum. This was because Presley was something of a womaniser, and conducted many affairs with his co-stars and leading ladies.
He began an affair with his co-star from Viva Las Vegas Ann-Margret for example, but when Priscilla found out about it, he said it was a made up media story to promote the movie.
It’s a shame their marriage didn’t last longer, we would have all loved to see more photos just like these!